Need Recipes, Tips, Advice?

Just drop me an email and I'll try to get your answer back to you right away. tom@tomramsey.com

Visit our websites at ivyanddevine.com and tomramsey.com

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Blues and Late-night Munchies

Last night, I was planning on spending the evening ironing, watching back episodes of Top Gear and getting ready for a long trip. Kitty was watching a Judy Dench movie upstairs and Whit was already in bed when my phone rang. On the other end was my friend Michael Frank who manages of some of the best blues artists in the world. He was in town most of this week for receptions and award ceremonies honoring his client Honeyboy Edwards. The 94-year-old legend won a Grammy this year along with an Excellence in Arts Award from Governor Haley Barbour. I weighed the options of ironing -vs- Honeyboy and left my wrinkled clothes for another day.

The 930 Blues Cafe was packed, loud and smokey...just like a blues club should be. The beer was cold, the people were happy and the whole crowd seemed to throb in unison with the heavy beat emanating from stage, punctuated by Honeyboy's guitar and its plaintive wailing. Yes! This was so much better than ironing! While Honeyboy was on stage, I got a chance to catch up with Michael and heard all about their whirlwind tour since the Grammys. For a near-century-old guy, Honeyboy travels like Tony Bourdain or some college kid with a backpack and a Eurail Global Pass.

The night ended with a short visit with Honeyboy and Jackie Bell announcing to the audience that she thought I was "...sexy as richard Gere." My friend John Horhn was quick to let me know that I looked more like him that Richard Gere. I think John was right, but Jackie is still sweet for the flattery.

Back at home, Kitty was finished with her movie and we were both hungry. While I regaled her with the stories of the night, I whipped up a plate of grilled Andouille sausage and three hand-crafted mustards (rustic Brown, Guiness and Dill). We at the sausage in bed abandoned the plate on the nightstand. I'll get around to cleaning it up today, right after I finish the ironing.
Bon Appetit!
~Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment