Need Recipes, Tips, Advice?

Just drop me an email and I'll try to get your answer back to you right away. tom@tomramsey.com

Visit our websites at ivyanddevine.com and tomramsey.com

Thursday, April 1, 2010

I Love this Kind of Work

To prepare for a new "thing" that I'm currently working on, I spent an evening working on a couple of new dishes with my friend and mega-chef, Dan Blumenthal. My good friend and new partner in a business venture, Kim Brown, came along for the learning experience and entertainment value. Dan and I worked out the kinks in a chipotle/lime/ginger shrimp dish. The original version was a marinated shrimp, cooked on a grill pan. It morphed and evolved into a dish cooked in the same way as New Orleans Bar-B-Que Shrimp, made famous by Pascal's Manale Restaurant. We blended a bunch of chipotle peppers with lime juice, melted butter, cilantro, ginger, honey, and sunflower oil, then cooked the shrimp in this concoction for a short time and served them over soft polenta. Don's call this "Shrimp and Grits" or I'll stop writing about it. EVERYBODY now does a shrimp and grits dish. I swear we'll see it on the menu at Red Lobster within the next year.

To go with this searing hot delight, we made a cold soup of cucumbers and avocado with an island of whipped cream and buttermilk floating on top alongside a dollop of salsa fresca and some baked tortilla strips. It was great. Kim cleaned her plate and was only mildly disturbed by Dan's and my behavior.

Bon Appetit!
~Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment