Need Recipes, Tips, Advice?

Just drop me an email and I'll try to get your answer back to you right away. tom@tomramsey.com

Visit our websites at ivyanddevine.com and tomramsey.com

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dinner at Walker's


Scott and I had a lobbying client in town from Chicago most of this week. The client, who is also a good friend, is a true foodie and lover of all things delicious, except for pork (his loss). For our last dinner together on this trip, we went to Walker's Drive-In in the burgeoning Fondren Arts District in Jackson, Mississippi.
When I was asked to write some of the "Best of Jackson" articles for the Jackson Free Press, I was thrilled to see that Walker's had won Best Restaurant and that I got to write the review. It read:

If this were a question on the SAT, it might read: "Andre Previn is to the orchestra pit as Derek Emerson is to the (a) kitchen, (b) dining room, (c) menu, (d) all of the above." The answer would, of course, be "d." In order to be the best restaurant in Jackson, you must get it all right. You can't just rely on your food to make up for service and atmosphere.
Lucky for Walker's, they don't have to worry about that scenario. I have traveled my way across multiple continents and dined in the places you read about in the national press, and I can say without a doubt that Walker's Drive In is on par with some of the best restaurants in which I've ever lifted a fork. So it is no wonder that Derek and his crew also brought home the trophy for where to take your date. The service is impeccable, and the laid-back atmosphere allows you to relax, sit back, and concentrate on your date without hassling with chasing down a waiter to fill your water glass or bring another bottle of wine. Although the menu is varied and enticing, I prefer to randomly pick one of the nightly specials, knowing that it will live up to my already high expectations. - Tom Ramsey

 The food was so good that I completely forgot to take pictures of the dishes. Suffice it to say, they looked yummy. I had a Scallops, followed by a Ribeye, Scott had the Fennel Soup, followed by the Scallops and Ben had the Asian Three Way Salad followed by Everything Crusted Tuna. Next time, I promise to get pictures.
Bon Appetit!
~Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment