Need Recipes, Tips, Advice?

Just drop me an email and I'll try to get your answer back to you right away. tom@tomramsey.com

Visit our websites at ivyanddevine.com and tomramsey.com

Friday, March 5, 2010

How did I forget to write about this steak?

Earlier this week, Kitty and I found ourselves in the enviable situation of no dinner guests, no class for me to teach, no clients in town and best of all...no kids. Sorry boys, we love you, but absence makes the heart grow fonder. In a grocery excursion the prior week, I made my usual stop at the "Manager's Special" section of the Kroger meat department. It's generally a nice place to grab a few pork chops or some ground beef that needs to get in the freezer on top of some heat before the almost meaningless "sell by" date. On this trip however, I found cheap shopping Valhalla. Nestled between some pre-formed burgers and a sad-looking flank steak were two absolutely beautiful dry aged steaks, the stuff that usually goes for $14.99 per pound. These were marked down to a paltry $3.99 per pound. Less than bologna! Less than Doritos for that matter! I rang the bell and asked the singing butcher if there were any more of these gems to be found, but alas, these were the only ones.

With only two of these steaks in the freezer, I had to wait for the right time to bring 'em out. It would have been rude to serve the boys Bachelor Dinner while Kitty and I noshed on these so we waited until just the right night.

Flash forward to earlier this week. Remember...the no kids night? I dropped by Kat's Wine Cellar and picked up a nice, jammy, Chilean Cabernet, and grabbed a couple of acorn squash from McDade's. When Kitty got home, I met her at the door with a glass of wine and gave her the good news. No kids, big wine, big steaks. Since it was still too cold for grilling, I seared the steaks in the black iron skillet and finished them in the broiler. the brown bits in the skillet were transformed into a sublime pan sauce and I finished off the plate with a neat little Basmati rice timbale.

Bon Appetit!
~Tom

2 comments:

  1. This looks great, now I am starving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He forgot that I gave up starchy carbs for Lent. Guess I'm going to hell...

    ReplyDelete